Our Ibon River Kit is the perfect choice for aquarists looking to create a unique and striking aquatic environment in their aquariums. Inspired by the high-altitude lakes, known as Ibons, of the Pyrenees mountains.
The high-altitude lakes and streams of the Pyrenees are a stunning natural wonder. These bodies of water are characterized by crystal-clear waters that reflect the surrounding peaks and sky. The streams that flow into and out of the lakes are often fast-moving, rushing over smooth stones and rocky outcroppings. The landscape surrounding the lakes is rugged and dramatic, with steep cliffs and dense forests of evergreen trees. In the summer, the meadows surrounding the lakes are covered in wildflowers, creating a colorful and vibrant contrast to the rocky terrain. As autumn approaches, the leaves of the trees turn a golden hue, creating a striking visual contrast against the deep blue of the lakes and streams. Despite the harsh environment and extreme conditions, these high-altitude lakes and streams are teeming with life, from the smallest invertebrates to the largest fish, and provide a haven for a wide range of aquatic and terrestrial species.
This Kit recreates the Ibon lakes featuring a mix of light sand, dark gravels, smooth cool pebbles, and Black Venom boulders that have been worn by the water over time. The result is a beautiful and high-contrast riverbed impression that brings a sense of drama and intrigue to your aquarium.
This carefully crafted Riverbed substrate composition recreates the unique features of high mountain rivers and streams, where rock shale and rubble are worn by the water into smooth cool pebbles. The Ibon River Kit includes a variety of sizes of our Black Venom Boulders, whose dark, solid forms offer a bold presence within the display. The kit also contains light sand blended with small dark smooth stones, providing a high-contrast mix of textures and colors.
When wet, all the stones in this kit glisten and shine beautifully, becoming darker and bringing stark contrast to green plants, generating a moody ambiance. And, we include our Wetland Artist Dark substrate, ideal for supporting lush plant growth and which combines well with the dark aesthetic of the hardscape.
The Ibon River Kit is an all-in-one kit that has everything you need to create a unique and dramatic aquatic environment in your aquarium.
1.Prepare Your Aquarium:
- Ensure that your aquarium is placed on a flat, leveled, and stable surface.
- Confirm that you have all the necessary components such as lighting, filtration, and heating systems ready to set up your aquarium.
- Now, you are ready to embark on creating your new scape with our all-in-one River Kits.
2.Plan Your Design:
- Gain inspiration from real-life riverbeds and aquatic ecosystems by studying photographs and conducting research on the specific biotope you want to recreate. You can also find inspiration on our social media platforms.
- Take the time to visualize and plan the design of your riverbed, considering the size and layout of your aquarium and the unique features of your chosen biotope.
- Research the specific requirements and preferences of the aquatic species you plan to keep in your riverbed to create an optimal environment for their well-being.
- Consider the placement of hardscape materials such as stones and wood pieces, imagining how they will interact with the substrate and aquatic plants.
3.Spreading the Substrates:
- Our Wetland substrate is ready to use. Distribute it in the area where you want your plants to grow, adding a thin layer of approximately 1 cm.
- Apply a similar 1 cm layer of the Riverbed substrate mix, covering the base layer. This separation creates distinct areas for nutrient-rich soil and cosmetic substrate, catering to both plant growth and the aesthetics of the biotope.
- This 1 cm base layer ensures a secure foundation for your hardscape while protecting the aquarium’s glass from scratches.
4.Place the Hardscape Materials:
- Arrange the hardscape materials, such as stones and wood pieces, in a way that mimics the natural formations found in your chosen biotope.
- Feel free to experiment with different hardscape arrangements to achieve your desired aesthetic and create a unique and captivating display.
- Keep in mind the visual balance and focal points in your design, ensuring the creation of hiding spots and sheltered areas for your aquatic pets.
- Finally, add the Nano Rocks around the larger stones to enhance the naturalistic scape.
5.Add the Remaining Substrates:
- Once the hardscape is complete, add the remaining Wetland substrate on top of the base layer in the planted area. Aim for a depth of at least 3 cm to provide sufficient space for plant growth. Vary the thickness of the substrate in different areas according to desired aesthetics and plant types.
- Finally, add the Riverbed substrate on top of the base layer. The arbitrary distribution of the bag content creates a natural riverbed impression with random densities and content mix, resulting in an easy, fun, and impressive way to create a true slice of nature.
- Maintain the lowest thickness by the front glass, aiming for less than 1 cm to achieve the best aesthetics.
6. Add Aquatic Plants:
- Before planting, moisten the soil to help the substrate settle and create a stable base for your aquatic plants.
- Carefully plant the aquatic plants in the substrate, considering their specific growth requirements and compatibility with the chosen biotope.
- Arrange the plants in a way that enhances the natural look and complements the overall design of your riverbed.
7.Fine-Tune the Design:
- Step back and assess the overall design of your riverbed, making any necessary adjustments to achieve the desired look and functionality.
- Consider adding additional decorations such as roots to further enhance the natural aesthetic.
8.Fill the Aquarium:
- Slowly fill the aquarium with water, pouring it gently onto a hard surface to avoid disturbing the substrate and plants.
- Monitor the water level to ensure it is appropriate for the chosen biotope and aquatic pets.
- During the initial setup period, the aquarium water may turn cloudy, which is normal. Don’t worry, though. Simply turn on the filter, and the cloudiness should disappear within a few hours.
Monitor and Maintain:
- Regularly monitor the water parameters, including temperature, pH, and ammonia levels, to ensure a healthy environment for your aquatic pets.
- Perform routine maintenance tasks, such as regular water changes, to maintain water quality and remove any accumulated debris.
- Trim and prune your aquatic plants as needed to promote their growth and maintain the desired aesthetic.
- Keep an eye on the health and behavior of your aquatic pets, making adjustments as necessary to create an optimal environment for their well-being.
By following these usage instructions and properly maintaining your River Kit aquarium, you can enjoy a stunning and natural-looking aquatic display that replicates the beauty of real riverbeds and biotopes. Let your creativity flow and immerse yourself in the tranquility of nature right in your own home.